Dental amalgam is a substance traditionally used as a filling for cavities. It contains elemental mercury, and will release low levels of mercury in the form of a vapor that can be inhaled and absorbed by the lungs. High levels of mercury vapor exposure have been proven to cause health issues, such as adverse effects in the brain and kidneys. Some individuals have allergies or sensitivities to the metal components of dental amalgam (mercury, silver, copper or tin).
While the FDA has reviewed the scientific evidence to determine whether amalgam fillings are a cause for concern and has concluded that it is safe for children and adults over the age of five, at Sweet Tooth Dentistry we do not use amalgam fillings that contain mercury. Our choice is the most current composite material, which contains no mercury, is tooth-colored, and bonds extraordinarily well to the tooth. In addition, less removal of the tooth’s structure is required with composite fillings.